Fashion Design is a business that is popularly known all around the world and it has a lot of profit once you are into it. It is a business that you can start with a small income. Below are some steps to follow to start up a fashion business and be successful in it:
Acquire Professional Training In Fashion Design.
Training enables you to know everything about designing and sewing clothes as well as making other things because fashion is much more than cloths. Do your research, check out reputable fashion institutes that are affordable and teach courses in the exact field you want to go into.
To be successful in fashion designing, you need to have deep knowledge about how to put pieces of cloths together to make good fashion. To learn this, you must undergo training in any fashion design institute. Training period is usually between 6 months to 15 months. You need to learn how to use a sewing machine, how to cut cloth to fit into someone, and so on.
Get Your Capital.
A fashion business can start really small and you might not need so much money at first, but you still need a little fund to purchase the equipment and tools you need for your work. Your savings and contributions from family and friends are a good place to start. However,if you are want to start up the business in a more bigger scale search for a Micro finance banks around you.
Get a good Location.
A fashion business can be small enough to start anywhere even in your home, but as the business grows, you will need more space and extra room for some things such as a changing room, leg space and even bigger sewing machines that you may likely want to get. When selecting your location, you can start with a 2 – room space or get a large space and partition it according to the number of rooms you desire for different purposes.
Purchase the Equipment for Fashion Design.
Below are some of the equipment needed for just a small scale fashion design business.
- Needles: Needles are used with thread to sew clothes.
- Chair: You need chairs for yourself and your customers to sit on.
- Tape Rule: The measuring tape is used to measure accurate size. For example you will need to measure your client’s waist size, hip size, and full length and so on. How to measure your client accurately is part of what you will be taught at the training institute.
- Two or Three Pairs of Scissors: This is used for cutting clothes.
- Threads: You will need to buy different colors of thread, the thread is mainly used with needles to sew clothes.
- Table: You need table of different sizes for cutting clothe.
- A Complete Set Of Sewing Machine: The sewing machine is used to join pieces of clothes together.
- A Weaving Machine: You need this machine to perfect your sewing, this perfection makes your sewing very neat.
- Embroidery Machine: An embroidery machine is used to make designs on clothes.
- Generator: A generator set of about 10 K.V.A to power your equipment when there is power failure.
Hold a fashion show.
Arrange for a show at a local venue, or apply for a slot within a larger fashion show. At the show, display some of your best looks, giving customers a taste of what you have to offer.
Sell your products.
Offer your products up for sale immediately after your fashion show so interested consumers can get their hands on them right away. Sell your goods independently, working directly with consumers, or sell them to boutiques and stores that will ultimately resell your looks to their buyers.
Respond to critiques.
Your first attempts at fashion design will may likely come with faults and critiques from people. As you receive criticism, use it as a learning tool, making modifications to your line to correct any perceived issues.
Take photos of models wearing your designs.
Create a look book for yourself, featuring your best work. You will likely start this process during your schooling and can then simply continue after you finish, updating this look book regularly with these, you are ready to be a successful fashion designer in Nigeria
To be successful, you’ll have to learn how to run your fashion design business, market your products, and keep your customers happy.
success in all business comes through determination, hard work and diligence.